History

Metal-Matic, Inc. has a long history of providing high-quality carbon steel tubing.

  • 1951 – Metal-Matic, Inc. was founded by Jerome J. Bliss as a research & development business. The company started with a 6,500-square-foot building in Minneapolis, MN.
  • 1952 – Jerome’s son, Gerald J. Bliss, began his 52-year career with the company.
  • 1955 – Metal-Matic, Inc. outgrew it’s original building resulting in the addition of the 40,000-square-foot Humboldt plant.
  • 1956 – First tube mill was purchased.
  • 1964 – Company expands with the purchase of the current 165,000-square-foot Minneapolis plant.
  • 1968 – Additional tube mills were added, bringing the total to four.
  • 1974 – Total of six tube mills now operating daily to meet demand.
  • 1988 – Purchased equipment to provide additional cold draw capacity.
  • 1989 – Installed the first in a series of several process lines.
  • 1995 – Bedford Park Plant was opened in Illinois.
  • 1996 – Received Ford Q1 award.
  • 1998 – Bedford Park facility expanded to 190,000 square feet to meet production demand.
  • 1998 – Certified to ISO9002/QS9000.
  • 2000 – Received grant through the Department of Economic Development.
  • 2004 – Certified to global automotive standard TS16949.
  • 2006 – Began producing driveshaft tubing.
  • 2012 – 245,000-square-foot Middletown plant was purchased in Ohio to satisfy demand for welded, annealed and cold drawn product.
  • 2014 – Middletown plant begins production.